Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chocolate chip cookies



Chocolate chip Heart cookies
I used chocolate chips that I bought at the bulk food strore 

I am not the biggest fan of these kind of cookies, but I have a very good reason to make them - my 4.5 year old son asked me to. Looked at some of my cook books, found the recipe that appealed to me. My son, as soon as he came from school today, he asked me to make these cookies. And since cooking is passion, I am determined to make them well. The least I can do, is please people I love with my cooking!

You will need:
Half a  pound soft, room temperature butter ( about 230 grams)
1/2 cup of regular sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
1 cup of chocolate chips (I used the bar of chocolate that my neighbor gave me with almonds and chopped them in the little chopper)
1/2 tsp. of baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt (if using unsalted butter)
about 2 cups of flour, sifted ( you may need less)
Tip. If you want these cooking to be healthy, add some chopped nuts and/or pumpkin seeds. It gives a nicer taste and your kids ended up eating healthy nuts that otherwise they wouldn't eat.

Mix with the electric hand mixer butter and both sugars until creamy and fluffy, for about 10-15 minutes. Scrape the sides few times with the spatula. Once it's nice and creamy, add eggs and vanilla. Then add your nuts and seeds, if using. Mix some more.
In a separate bowl, combine sifted flour, salt and baking soda. Mix well. Add most of the flour mixture into the butter batter, leaving some, just in case, if it's not enough.
Your mixture should be soft, but not too soft. By hand, make walnut size balls, I made bigger-no patience-pat them to make pancake like shape and put it on the parchment paper on the baking sheet. Bake at 350-375 F. I like to be cautious...for about 15 minutes, until the sides become lightly brown. Take it and cool it.
My son in the winter likes to cool his cookies in the balcony. We did just that now, he tried it and his first reaction was:'Mmmmhmmm, so crunchy, so good, thank you, mom!'
I think they really did come out very good, they definitely look much better than the ones last time. I hope your kids will enjoy it, too. My son was helping me through the process, he was holding the chopping button on the chopper, he was breaking the eggs and pouring sugar. What a great little helper. Ask you kids to help you, they love to participate and be helpful.
My cookies look somewhat different than the regular chocolate chip, because I didn't have the chips, I chopped the bar of dark chocolate with almonds. There were a lot of tiny pieces among the few bigger ones..It tastes great!

2 comments:

Kristina said...

wow, this is the most popular American cookies! I don't like them too, but kids loves them. I think I have some were very special recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I have to look and write for you here !

Dobermangirl said...

Hey, Kristina, it's nice to see you here, wondering around. Can't wait for your recipe!